visited 44 states (88%)
Buy Douwe's Machine Learning Book

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sunday, June 8, 2008

When we woke this morning they were calling for more rain…just what we really need! But I was determined to head up there and see what was going on. We got to the area at about 10:45 and the registration only went until 11:15. The news was reporting that there were more storms on the way and that there was a warning until 11:45.

My wife was sitting next to me in the truck and said “if it is going to rain…I’m not going to pay to run in it! If you want to go ahead!”

I thought about it for a while and at 10 after 11 I finally decided that I was going to do it rain or no rain.

I got a shirt but they had already run out of numbers…this meant that I would be running without a number but that is okay it was more about the beer and the run than the number anyway.

While waiting for the race to start it began to pour…not just a little either but buckets!! The road in front of us flooded…I mean flooded! The van that was taking materials to the finish line already had water up to its hubcaps. The runners (drinkers) were having fun in the rain…the beach balls came out and people were just having fun.

The rain was still coming down when the horn went off but it had lightened up a bit. Over 1,100 runners set out on this wet course. We made our way down the road playing in the water. We made the first turn and the search for the first beer stop began…we all thought was at the turn but it was another 2 blocks. We all stopped…I don’t think the volunteers were ready for us since it took a good 3-4 minutes to get my beer!

The beer was okay and it was only a 4 oz cup…that they didn’t fill up. >:^(

I headed off to the second stop and found that there were people out on the street handing out medium (8 oz.) sized cups! I took one. If I’m going to drink while I run I should DRINK!!

While they were filling my large cup I noticed that the turn was flooded and that people were trudging through it. With my cup full I started to run through the thigh high water…boy was that fun!! The rain was still coming down and I still had 2 beer stops to go.

The next beer stop was quicker and I was able to move through it pretty quick.

By this point people were walking and enjoying the rain but I really wanted to run the race so I kept running. The last beer stop was managed by the HHH of Waukesha and I have to hand it to them they know how to drink and run!!

I made my way to the finish line and crossed in 22:07…not real bad for a 1.8 mile run and having to stop to drink beer. I will be back next year!!

On my way back to the car I ran an additional 0.3 miles just so that I felt like I got 2 miles in for the day.

No comments: