visited 44 states (88%)
Buy Douwe's Machine Learning Book

Monday, July 9, 2018

Mad Marathon - VT

So here I am….under 10 marathons to go and Vermont makes state number 42!! This is
marathon #3 and new state #2 for the year.


The weather wasn’t looking too well for this one as the summer weather has swept the
country. The goals were the same as it has been for years: #1. Finish the race #2.
Shoot for under 5 hours. But I’ve had a #3 for the last 2 years that I could not muster
to add to this race which was PR….NOT in the cards.

Flight out was late Friday night with a stay in Boston area then a drive on Saturday to
the race area. The drive was nothing that exciting. Drove through New Hampshire with
a couple stops along the way.
New Hampshire's View

Once I got into Vermont I headed for the Capitol for lunch. Great pub and eatery with
a wide selection of beers.
Welcome to Vermont

What a cute little building. LOL
Off to Waitsfield to pick up my bib and shirt.

 

The area was nice and they were in the process of setting up the finish line and having
the kids races so I snapped a few photos.

Kids Run

Finish line setup
The race had arranged for the Sugarbush Inn to be open for runners that wished to stay
just for the night in the area and I was grateful for that because most of the B&B’s in
the area required a 3 night stay. The Inn had a continental breakfast available for us at 5:30
on race day even!!! Thank you!! Additionally the Sugarbush Inn is part of the bigger
Sugarbush Resort and that allowed access to the clubhouse so that I could grab a shower
afterward!!
Sugarbush Resort
Morning of the race the temp was 55 (YES!!!) but the humidity was 85% (D’OH!!!). After a
small breakfast I made my way to the start line. I love the small town feel of this race and was
excited to see so many (but not too many) happy faces on race morning.

The gun went off at 7 am and it was on.

Okay -- So over the years when I pick my races I always check the course online to be sure
that there are no surprises and what I have come to realize is that the elevation charts are
ALWAYS off. Either the chart is flawed so that you don't realize just how hilly the course is or
the reverse they make it out to be so much worse than it really is. I decided to ignore their
elevation chart and go with the comments I read (rolling hills). I have to give this race credit --
their elevation chart IS NOT to be ignored, it was spot on!!
Not a misprint!!!
After the first hill at mile 1 I was already sweating my ass off with the humidity where it was.
Ugh!
By mile 2 I realized that goal #2 was going to be a stretch. So I just sat back and enjoyed the
scenery.

This course is gorgeous and I understand now why runners have rated it the most beautiful
course….because so many of them (myself included) walk the hills and look around unlike so
many other courses where you just run and not look.
1st out and back

Cows and a view
Look at that hill!!!

Little cow said hi to the runners
Other than the mountains in the background (which made the views amazing) I felt like I was
back home as I ran past many farms with cows and cattle at every turn. Surprisingly, even
though there were lots of signs for horses I only saw a few of them….I even counted them!!!
LOL! I saw 15 horses in the 26 miles...the last one was being ridden by a woman that was
obviously training...they were both “dressed up” rider with her riding crop and all!
Enjoying the shade

Horse and a view!
“The Dip” as the locals call it was no joke...quarter mile down, very steep, with a quarter mile
up….not as steep but taller. Lets not forget Had to do “the dip” twice as it also was at mile 21!!
Thankfully the aid station coming back had ice so the water bottle got filled with ice rather than
water!!!

Plenty of alone time on the course even with the marathon relay going on. Met a few nice people
out there and even got a recommendation for a Massachusetts marathon now.

By mile 13 the humidity had dropped, this is both good and bad...Good in the fact that the temps
were rising (mid 70’s) but bad in the fact that the sweat had now dried and signs of chafing had
begun...OUCH!!!

There was a beer stop -- officially sanctioned too!!! -- around mile 23-24. Decent local beer that
I of course can not remember the name of.

The last mile is slightly uphill (of course) but it ended at “the barn.” Drank about a quart of water
and then found some of the best tasting apple cider around. YUMMY!
DONE!!!!
Headed off to the clubhouse for a nice shower before the drive back to Boston.

Would I recommend this race? Yes!! But beware of the hills and come prepared for them!
Aid Stations? Plenty of them but some needed ICE for us back of the packers
Does this deserve “Most Beautiful” course in America? Don’t know, I’ve only done 42 of them….but it is in my top 3!!
Traffic to Boston was too much -- needed a treat!!

Post run dinner!!!

Dinner with my swag


No comments: